In the province of Granada, this mountainside village was voted in the top 10 ‘most beautiful views of a town’ in the world by National Geographic. As you arrive in Montefrio you will understand why! Montefrío is a small town (pueblo) located 45 minutes north west from the city centre of Granada. It is conveniently located for travel between the provinces of Granada, Córdoba and Jaén. At around 2,750ft above sea level, the Castillo de La Villa sits at the highest point. This 15th century fortress offers spectacular panoramic views of the town and surrounding area. There is plenty to see in the ‘pueblo’ including the Iglesia de La Encarnacion (the only round church in Spain), the Iglesia del Convento, original cave houses, Roman fountains and the archaeological site, Peñas de Los Gitanos. There are many festivals (fiestas) throughout the year which includes the month long festival in August – La Fiesta Patronales de Agosto!
WHAT TO DO IN MONTEFRÍO
There is plenty for everyone in Montefrío from the culture to the historic and, with over 30 traditional Spanish bars / restaurants, you can plan what you want to do whilst enjoying a drink and some tapas.
- Castillo de La Villa – take in the panoramic views from this 15th century fortress at the top of the mountain
- Igelsia de La Encarnación – discover the the only round church in Spain
- Igelsia del Convento ‘Convento de San Antonio’ – walk in the cloisters of an historic convent
- Peñas de Los Gitanos – visit an ancient archaeological site
- Museo del Olivo – find out about the history of olives and their importance to the locals and wider province
- Museo de Navidad– visit a Christmas museum, open all year, showcasing the history of Christmas
- Aceites Montevilla – sample and purchase local Montefrio olive oil
- Queso Montefrieño – taste and purchase Montefrio’s global award winning cheeses. You’ll be sure to want to make some space in your luggage to take some home too!
- Productos tipicos de Montefrío – visit the tourist shops to take home your piece of paradise
- Burbujas – an inside play zone for children
- Parque Infantil – walk around the town and you’ll find three children’s playgrounds – two of the parks also have bars within them
SHOPS IN MONTEFRÍO
There are several supermarkets in Montefrio including Coviran, Iberplus and Dia as well as fish shops, greengrocers, butchers and bakers. Being a small town, siesta is observed everyday from about 1pm to 5pm during the summer and 2pm to 5pm in the winter. All shops are closed during siesta and open from about 5pm – 8/9pm in the evening. All shops apart from some petrol stations are closed all day on Sundays and Fiestas. Market day in Montefrío is Monday (except festival days) located next to the La Piscina Municipal.
Monterfrío has a Centro de Salud (medical centre) and several pharmacies with at least one that will remain open (via an intercom system) during siestas and for emergencies.
ATTRACTIONS IN MONTEFRÍO
There is something for everyone and for all ages, here are just a few attractions.
Ruta Turistica – jump on the tourist train to explore the many view points of the town.
Sierra Pelada Trekking & Horse Riding – use the original horse power to explore the surrounding areas or just enjoy a riding lesson.
La Piscina Municipal – take a dip in Montefrío’s public pool and admire the stunning views of the Castillo de La Villa.
Other attractions include cycle hire, motorbike tours, picnics in the countryside, walking tours and bird watching tours. Contact us for more information.
Want to go further afield? Click here to discover what else you can do on your next holiday at Huerta Pequeña.