The city of Granada is about 45 minutes away by car and is definitely worth a visit whilst staying at Huerta Pequeña. With a variety of things to see and do the city is an ideal destination for a day trip or even just an afternoon or evening. At the highest point of the city is the famous Alhambra Palace and gardens. The city is awash with historic buildings and traditional architecture with a mix of Spanish and Moorish influences. Walk around the city through the covered (in summer) streets or discover little tapas bars in the maze of alleys and side streets that surround the Cathedral. Enjoy lunch in one of the many restaurants in the city’s squares or take an early evening meal whilst looking at the Alhambra and its changing colour as the sun fades. There is a bus service from Montefrío operated by Alsa.
THINGS TO DO IN GRANADA
- La Alhambra Palace, El Generalife & Gardens – discover the history and hidden treasures of the stunning palaces, explore the beautiful gardens whilst taking in the spectacular views of the city. Booking is essential well in advance of your trip!
- Catedral de Granada – set in one of the city’s many squares, this 15th century Cathedral has a rectangular base due to its five naves. Take a walk inside or admire the amazing architectural detail from the outside
- El Albaicín– also known as the Albayzin when it was under Muslim rule, is one of the oldest areas of Muslim culture. Explore the narrow winding streets with its Moorish histrory and visit the many bazaars and tea-rooms
- Mirador San Nicolás – take in the view of the city and the Alhambra Palace from the view point or from the top of San Nicolás spire
- Museo Cuevas del Sacromonte – visit the famous gypsy quarter of Granada with its traditional cave houses, museums, restaurants and flamenco dancing
- Sierra Nevada Ski Resorts – open in summer and winter take the drive up to 11,411ft above sea level, enjoy some refreshments whilst taking in the views, enjoy the summer attractions or take to the slopes in winter
- Los Cahorros Monachil – walk in the canyons and over the rope bridges among the amazing waterfalls in the Monachil valley
- Aquaola Parque Acuático – ride the rapids, run the water slides or just chill out by the wave pool
- Shopping – from souvenirs to the latest fashion there are plenty of shops in the city as well as the various shopping centres on the outskirts
- Tours – There are several tour companies in the city that can organise a variety of activities such as personal guided walks to segway tours, all offering different opportunities to explore the city. Visit www.granadainfo.com for more information.
Want to explore further afield? Take a look at what else you can do whilst enjoying a holiday at Huerta Pequeña in rural andalucia.